Predictive maintenance refers to the maintenance method that uses a data-driven approach and the methods are Proactive and are designed to analytically inspect the condition of electronic or electrical equipment and also to predict the minimum or maximum amount of time of the equipment being used before doing any maintenance activity on it.
Machine learning or ML is a branch of computer science and Artificial intelligence which we call AI. This branch most importantly focuses or prioritizes on the use of algorithms and data which helps it imitate the path of learning that human follows and this approach will gradually help to improve the accuracy of the path.
Predictive Maintenance and Machine Learning (ML) when used together
Predictive Maintenance with Machine learning is the most important component in the branch of data science in today’s world of technology and also in the tech industry. Each of the two is more useful when they are used together than when they are used as a single method. Both are very important and are the most useful branches of data science when used together as a unit.
Predictive Maintenance with Machine learning techniques is used to analyze and learn the historical data and then use the live or present data to identify the failure pattern in a device so that it can be fixed. We can also use conservative procedures instead of this method but the conservative methods will lead to wastage of resources and will take much more time than usual.
On the other hand, Machine Learning increases the speed at which the data is being analyzed and processed and is clearly a better procedure as it is being operated through Artificial Intelligence. There are also things that this method can perform but the conservative methods cannot and one of them is that this method can analyze larger data sets very fast which will help start the maintenance method early.
The connection between Machine Learning and Predictive Maintenance
These two methods as we have already mentioned are more useful and effective when implemented together. Predictive analytics most of the time uses the Machine Learning algorithm to execute the work it has to perform. The predictive models are trained from time to time so that they can use and process new values or information.
When used in the field of business all the Predictive Maintenance models or methods always follow the ML algorithms for processing the large amount of data that is needed to be processed to serve the purpose that is being assigned to the Predictive model. So all this proves that these two branches of data science that we have been discussing largely overlap each other in the field of business.
Advantages of Predictive Maintenance
Predictive maintenance is a process designed to analyze the equipment you are using and help you predict the time on which you should perform any kind of maintenance activity on your equipment. There are many benefits of using predictive maintenance and those are really very helpful some of the benefits are being mentioned below:
- This method of predicting the time of maintenance helps the people to eliminate or reduce the unscheduled equipment downtime that is being experienced before because of any kind of problem in the equipment or because of system failures.
- The method also allows the increase in the asset life of the equipment, makes the equipment being complied safely and also lets the user perform preemptive correction methods on the equipment which may cause fatal if not corrected.
- In most of the other maintenance methods, labor goes waste or unutilized but this method increases the amount of utilization of labor which means there is less wastage of labor if someone performs this method.
- This method helps in increasing the efficiency of the equipment and this increase in efficiency leads to less waste of energy and less wastage of labor that is being performed which helps the company to save money.
- When a business company uses this method it will take less time to perform the method hence they will be able to increase their rate of production which is incredibly profitable for any business.
- As this method helps the user to know the correct time of maintenance that should be followed hence the life span of the equipment becomes more as the equipment has been maintained properly at the right time.
Why Machine Learning over any other data analyzing methods?
The greatest reason to use Machine Learning for predictive maintenance over any other data analyzing method is that ML can show improvement over time. In the field of efficiency, ML can improve over time and it also requires really less time than any other method which will save time and money.
Hopefully, this article has helped you learn about the different aspects of Predictive Maintenance and Machine Learning and also the uses in the field of business, and all the benefits it carries with itself.